Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lost Mountain Part 2

As I continue reading, I find myself starting to get more angry about this problem of mountain top removal. Reece does a great job throughout the book appealing to the readers emotions, but I feel like it is getting harder and harder for me to look at both sides of the arguement. I never completely agreed with the way they are mining, but I did still understand that we need coal and we will continue to use coal so it has to be mined. Now I'm just angry with the coal companies. The stories Reece tells in the second part of the book are really moving to me. The way these people are willing to fight for their rights are humans is very empowering. Sure it has its discouraging factors because they aren't winning battles, but it makes me wonder what we could do to help. Before I wasn't sure that they would care what I thought about this issue, but now I wish that I could go there and help them.

While reading Jack Spadaro's story, I was reminded of how hard it really is to fight these issues. The government basically runs these companies, so who are you supposed to get help from when you can't get help from the law. It was really an eye opener to read his story about losing his job, and the vicious circle of people who would do anything to protect the coal companies and make some extra money(as if they need it). It really brings into perspective how hard it has been and will continue to be for the Kentuckians to fight for better water and better living conditions because the government is so corrupt. These people are going to continue to be ignored and mistreated until enough people get involved in public offices to fight it from the inside.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that as the book continues, it becomes harder and harder to see anything positive about mountain top removal. The way in which Reece uses emotional cues to capture your attention really makes you want to reach out and help. I like that you bought up the issue of not being able to get help from the government about this issue due to their heavy support towards the coal mining industry. Although I understand that coal may be the cheapest source of energy (supposedly, I feel that other resources should be utilized that are less detrimental to the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that as I have continued reading this book, I have found it hard to see both sides of the issue. I think it would be interesting to read a book that argues the other side of the issue and then assess my beliefs along with the rest of the class. I found that because Reece provides such compelling and as you said emotional stories, it is extremely difficult to say "I am still in favor of strip mining." This is a really good and thought provoking post which goes nicely with what I took from this reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on this. If the president is being paid by the coal companies millions of dollars upfront to help them pay for their campaign, how is the lower class that live in Kentucky supposed to fight against these "big dawg" government officials? Being that the lower class is seen in society as being less educated and having less money than the rest of society, the Kentuckians are going to lose when it goes down in court. Its a very touchy subject and outcome.

    ReplyDelete