Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Inc part 183-218

The part of the book by Joel Salatin was very good. I enjoyed reading it. He did a very good job of explaining how we, as consumers, do have a choice about what we eat, and he explained what the consequences are of eating factory-produced food. Joel does a good job of trying to reach out to all different kinds of people. I think his main audience is roughly 25 years old and up. I say this because it is triggered at people to own or rent a house, and who do their own grocery shopping. He does a great job of explaining how people that own their own yard can start a garden and grow their own foods and trade foods, but he also explained things that people living in apartment complexes, that may not have a yard, can do. I really was shocked when he said that he knew of someone who was raising hens for fresh eggs in their apartment. I don’t personally think I could live with hens running around my apartment, but it is good to hear that people are willing to try these things to help change our food system.

While reading other sections of the book I was thinking about the audiences. All of them seem to be the age group around 25 and older. I think it would be a good idea to make this same kind of movie and book for younger children. The children of our society are targeted by factory-produced food makers and it would be a good idea to show these children where the food they want comes from. This may help to get children to want to eat their fruits and veggies, and grow up to believe in a more sustainable way of eating. Maybe this would help bring awareness to their parents also since it seems we live in a culture that is sheltered from where our food comes from and what it is made from.

No comments:

Post a Comment